Many U.S Households Still Unable To Afford Basics

Even with a growing US economy, it seems that its benefits are yet to reach many Americans. Many still can’t afford a basic middle class life. A recent study done by the United Way ALICE Project has indicated that around 51 million or 43% of the households in the country cannot afford basic necessities like food, housing, healthcare, childcare, a cell phone and transportation.

Two classes of households

The study has divided these families into two classes. The first class is made up of 16.1 million households who live in poverty and are unable to access basic life-sustaining needs. Another group has been dubbed ALICE or Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed. This class is just short of what is needed to live in the modern economy.

In a statement while releasing the report, Stephanie Hoopes, the director of the project said despite the economic gains made, many families are still experiencing financial hardships.

Among the states that are hard hit include Hawaii, New Mexico and California where each has 49% of their households unable to afford basic needs. North Dakota has the lowest percentage at 32%.

According to the study, many of the people that are struggling financially work as the country’s home health aides, store clerks, office assistants and child care workers. These workers earn very little income and have little savings. 66% of the country’s jobs pay below $20 per hour.

Utah has a total of 941,094 households and 10% of these are said to be living in poverty while 29% were categorized as ALICE. Cumulatively, Utah has 39% of its households struggling financially.

Raising cost of living with constant wages

According to Hoopes, wages have stagnated for long while the cost of living is going up. She adds that this has caused a lot of anger and frustration because despite being told that they are doing well, the cant feel and associate with the same. To make matters worse, many of these families are unable to save any money for the future.

Hoopes says that many people lost their savings during the recession. During the same period many people lost their jobs as many companies winded up or retrenched their workforce to adjust to the tightening economic times. During that period, many were sustained by their savings. When they were reemployed, the pay was little and unable to replenish their savings.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *